This Week’s Share
|Beets||4 pounds||2 pounds|
|Celeriac (Celery Root) with tops||2 bulbs||2 bulb|
|Kale, Red or White Russian||2 bunches||1 bunch|
|Onions, Cortland||2 each||1 each|
|Sweet Peppers||6 each||3 each|
|Winter Squash, Delicata||2 large each||1 large each|
- Celeriac: Also known as celery root, it is a variety of celery grown for its edible bulbous root crown. Don’t be intimidated by this odd looking vegetable, because it’s delicious flavor and culinary flexility make it a favorite here on the farm. You can grate it up fresh to use in a slaw or remoulade, add it to a classic fall veggie roast, boil and mash it up with potatoes, slice thin and saute, or add it to just about any soup for a tasty result. For an additional bonus the bulbs include their tops this week, which are very similar to celery and can be used much the same way. The tops are know to have a stronger more intense flavor than celery, so make sure to taste first.
- Sweet Peppers: It’s been a great season for peppers, but at the saying goes, all good things must come to an end. Enjoy these last colorful tastes of summer, while you enjoy the bright crisp autumn weather this week.
- Winter Squash: That’s right, it’s winter squash time, and this week you can do your Delicata dance. The Delicata in particular has relatively thin skin (so thin you can eat it, no peeling needed) and a creamy and nutty flavor making is great for baking and steaming. Delicata should keep for several weeks in a cool and dry part of the kitchen away from direct sunlight, although due to its thinner skin is known to not keep for quite as long as all the other thicker skinned winter squashes.
Order Bulk Vegetables from SIO
Are you a juicer? Have friends, neighbors or co-workers eyeing your share? Find your self just needing more SIO? We are having great yields on several of our fall storage crops and would like to again offer the opportunity to buy in bulk from the farm. We had such great success offering Bulk Carrots last year, that we are expanding to Bulk Beets, Bulk Potatoes, and Bulk Onions and may add more crops as they become available.
For this coming week please place your order by noon Thursday 10/17. All orders will be available for pick-up at the farm 12pm (Noon) Friday 10/18 through 7pm Sunday 10/20. To place an order email the farm at firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, type of Bulk Box(es) you’d like, and the weekend you want them available for pick-up at the farm. You will receive an email confirming your order and directions for how to pick-up it up from the farm. Please invite your non-CSA member friends, neighbors, and co-workers to take advantage of this opportunity and get in on some of the SIO bounty as well.
Bulk Vegetable Box Options:
Bulk Beet Box: $35 for 20lb box (red beets only)
Bulk Carrot Box: $25 for 20lb box
- Bulk Onion Box: $30 for 20lb box
- Red Onions or Yellow Onions or Mixed (please specify type)
- Bulk Potatoes Box: $25 for 20lb box
- Red Potatoes or Yellow Potatoes or Mixed (please specify type)
- Bulk Mixed Box: $28 for 20lb box
- Mix of carrots, beets, onions and potatoes