This Week’s Share
|Escarole||2 heads||1 head|
|Jalapenos||4 each||2 each|
|Kohlrabi (giant)||2 each||1 each|
|Onions, Cortland||4 each||2 each|
|Parsley, Italian Flat Leaf||1 large bunch||1 small bunch|
|Potatoes, Sangre Red||4 pounds||2 pounds|
|Sweet Peppers||6 each||3 each|
|Tomatoes, Heirlooms||on rotation||on rotation|
- Escarole: A member of the chicory family, escarole is a broad-leaved endive with broad, pale green leaves that look similar to a leafy butter lettuce. Escarole can be eaten lightly cooked or raw in salads. The outer and darker green leaves have a stronger flavor that lend better to cooked dishes, and the inner and lighter green leaves have a more mild flavor great for fresh salads. A favorite and simple preparation is to sauté the leaves lightly (3-5 minutes) in bacon grease or butter and season with salt and pepper. It can also be added to soups like a hearty Italian white bean and escarole soup.
- Kohlrabi (giant): Get ready for this fall flavor delight, it has been a favorite among the farm crew this past week. The Kossak kohlrabi in your share this week is not only huge in size, but also also big in delicious flavor. With crisp, juicy, mildly sweet flesh it is really great raw. See the recipes from Katherine for some great ideas.
- Potatoes, Sangre: The potatoes in your share this week are Sangre, which have a deep red skin and white flesh. Their average size this year is large, so get ready for some big and delicious taters.
Order Bulk Vegetables from SIO
Are you a juicer? Have friends, neighbors or co-workers eyeing your share? Find your self just needing more SIO? We are having great yields on several of our fall storage crops and would like to again offer the opportunity to buy in bulk from the farm. We had such great success offering Bulk Carrots last year, that we are expanding to Bulk Beets, Bulk Potatoes, and Bulk Onions and may add more crops as they become available.
For this coming week please place your order by noon Thursday 10/3. All orders will be available for pick-up at the farm 12pm (Noon) Friday 10/4 through 5pm Sunday 10/6. To place an order email the farm at firstname.lastname@example.org with your name, type of Bulk Box(es) you’d like, and the weekend you want them available for pick-up at the farm. You will receive an email confirming your order and directions for how to pick-up it up from the farm. Please invite your non-CSA member friends, neighbors, and co-workers to take advantage of this opportunity and get in on some of the SIO bounty as well.
Bulk Vegetable Box Options:
Bulk Beet Box: $35 for 20lb box (red beets only)
Bulk Carrot Box: $25 for 20lb box
- Bulk Onion Box: $30 for 20lb box
- Red Onions or Yellow Onions or Mixed (please specify type)
- Bulk Potatoes Box: $25 for 20lb box
- Red Potatoes or Yellow Potatoes or Mixed (please specify type)
- Bulk Mixed Box: $28 for 20lb box
- Mix of carrots, beets, onions and potatoes