This Week’s Share
|Beets, Red||3 pounds||1 ½ pounds|
|Carrots||2 pounds||1 pound|
|Cilantro||6 ounces||3 ounces|
|Lettuce||2 heads||1 head|
|Kale, Lacinato||2 bunches||1 bunch|
|Onions, Walla Walla Sweets||4 each||2 each|
|Summer Squash and/or Cucumbers||tbd, on rotation||tbd, on rotation|
|Turnips, Hakurei||2 pounds||1 pound|
- Onions, Walla Walla Sweets: As the name suggests, these onions are much sweeter than your typical white or yellow storage onion. They can be used in any recipe calling for onion, but try using them in recipes that will let their flavor shine through. Because they fresh onions (as opposed to a storage onions) they should be kept in the refrigerator.
- Summer Squash or Cucumbers: This week we continue with the rotation, which means some shares will receive summer squash and other cucumbers. We keep careful records of what crops and how much is delivered each week, and make sure to that each member receives the same total of each crop that goes on rotation through out the season.
- Turnips, Hakurei: Your turnips this week are tops off, and these will be the least distribution of these until they return again in the fall. If you haven’t tried pickling these white beauties yet try it out with this last round.
Join our friends at the Sauvie Island Center for the 5th Annual Barn Dance & Barbecue
Grab your dancin’ shoes! The 5th annual Sauvie Island Center Barn Dance and Barbecue will be held this Saturday, July 27th from 5 to 8 pm. Get your tickets now and don’t miss out on an evening of tasty barbecue and live music for square dancing! Individual tickets are $25 for adults and $5 for kids under 12. There are also a a limited number of tables available for sponsorship. Reserve yours before they’re gone.
While at the Barn Dance and Barbecue enjoy…
- Fun for kids on the Whole Foods Market Scavenger Hunt
- Caroline Oakley of Pickathon fame will call the dance
- Killer barbecue with all the fixins’ courtesy of Bon Appetit
- We saved the best for last with dessert sponsored by Organic Valley
- Silent auction with art, outdoor gear, great kid stuff & premium wine
- Cold beer and local wines available for purchase